Discord?

“Aggregated Information: In an ongoing effort to better understand and serve the users of the Services, we may conduct research on our customer demographics, interests and behavior based on the information collected. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis, and we may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our services to current and prospective business partners, and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.”

The above paragraph describes “data mining” in legalese to obfuscate its real meaning.
This is what the Discord bot does after you exit from its Voice Comms service" if you leave its default settings alone.

I was wrong and I apologize for my error. Apparently, the latest Discord data mining app has been enhanced with a minimum set of user protection settings; however, YOU have to reconfigure the app via its Settings menu to turn off all of Discord’s data mining features.

You will find that the default settings for the Discord data mining bot are configured to let Discord start itself up whenever you start Windows up (i.e. turn your PC on) and to continue running after you exit the Voice Comms service.

In my opinion, these are not the actions nor the configuration of an upfront, user-friendly, app! Compare the default configuration settings Mumble uses to the configuration settings Discord uses to see the differences between a legitimate Voice Comms app and a data mining app that offers Voice Comms as one of its “Services”.

And you are right if you have deduced that I do not care for nor approve of deceitful (in my humble opinion) programs like the Discord app.

Discord is just as much (or more) a chat app - it was a chat app before it was a voice app. It’s quite normal for chat apps to remain running minimized in your system tray when you “close” them.

Discord, Facebook, Whatsapp, almost all game launchers, Twitch, Windows 10, just to name a few more that do basically exactly the same. And let’s not even get into phone apps.

But Discord is nowhere near the worst and I’m mostly fine with it (I do however have most feedback functions turned off).

Edit: This is one of the reasons for the European data privacy law.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind remarks, @Splutty. I especially liked your comment about the European data privacy laws being different from and more stringent than those in the USA.

Suffice it to say that neither Microsoft, Google, nor Facebook have any love for the EU legal system. :slight_smile: