[Finished] SF - Horizons of the Vast AP (Sundays, 8-11 EDT)

VTT Client: Fantasy Grounds Unity (Ultimate License)
Host DM Name: scourge2805
Host Password: will provide via Discord or PM
Game Name: will provide via Discord or PM

Game System: Starfinder

Voice: OTG Guild Discord - VTT channel

Dates/Time: Sundays at 8 PM EDT through 11 PM EDT, and see below

Preferred Party Size: 4-6

Current Party:

• Ocelot - ??? - ??? (???)
  • Quixote - ??? - ??? (???)
  • Mithinar - ??? - ??? (???)
  • EATherrian - ??? - ??? (???)
  • Ryukan - ??? - ??? (???)
  • Stompey - ??? - ??? (???)

Party is closed.

This will be a running of the Horizons of the Vast adventure path by Paizo for their Starfinder role playing game. It’s a 6-volume Starfinder AP that runs from level 1 through level 13.

Horizons of the Vast Player’s Guide

Entire AP as well as first adventure synopses:

As part of a massive effort to explore and develop an uninhabited planet full of valuable resources, the heroes are placed in control of a settlement and must deal with challenges from both within and without. Far from home, can the heroes establish a thriving community and survive the uncharted system’s terrible secrets and mysteries?

With the discovery of an uncharted, resource-rich, and uninhabited planet in the Vast, several factions begin a joint settlement effort, and the heroes are given the chance to be the scouts and administrators of one such charter. As they explore the surrounding wilderness and grow their new settlement, they must contend with all manner of problems, from wild animal attacks to dissatisfied settlers. And the planet holds mysteries beyond counting!

All character options available from the following official Paizo sources:

• Starfinder Core Rulebook
  • Starfinder Character Operations Manual
  • Starfinder Starship Operations Manual
  • Starfinder Galaxy Exploration Manual
  • Starfinder Armory
  • Starfinder Pact Worlds
  • Starfinder Near Space
  • Starfinder Alien Archive
  • Starfinder Alien Archive 2
  • Starfinder Alien Archive 3
  • Starfinder Alien Archive 4
  • Against the Aeon Throne #1 - The Reach of Empire
  • Against the Aeon Throne #2 - Escape from the Prison Moon
  • Against the Aeon Throne #3 - The Rune Drive Gambit
  • SIgnal of Screams #1 - The Diaspora Strain
  • Signal of Screams #2 - The Penumbra Protocol
  • Signal of Screams #3 - Heart of Night
  • The Devastation Ark #1 - Waking the Worldseed
  • The Devastation Ark #2 - The Starstone Blockade
  • Fly Free or Die Player’s Guide

Gameplay information and/or rules from all the above sources is available for free here.
Character creation within Fantasy Grounds for the Starfinder ruleset is kinda wonky. Be prepared.

No purchases necessary.

Will be using Guild Discord for voice communication and Fantasy Grounds Unity as our virtual table top. A free demo license of Fantasy Grounds Unity is fine for connecting to my game.

Game time is Sundays at 20:00 EDT for 3 hours (ending at 23:00 EDT); 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm for you non-sci-fi (non-)nerds.

Session 0 - character finalization, character creation, last minute prep, discussion of colony charter system and making initial charter, etc will be on Oct 3rd.

Session 1 - AP/adventure start will be on Oct 10th.

Campaign Homework/Inspiration

• Watch Avatar (film)
  • Play Pathfinder: Kingmaker (video game)
  • Watch Lost in Space (film(s), or television)

First Campaign Handout - Charter System

We’re no Heroes is the title of the first adventure. It means what it says. If there ever was a campaign for neutral non-heroic types, this would it. That being said, the captains of the inspirational material (Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly/Serenity, and James Holden of the Expanse) are good guys even though they pretend not to be. But the rest of their crew… ~wiggles hand back and forth~

We can make almost anything work, but this is not the adventure for bad-ass warriors, nobles, heroic save the world types. This is a campaign for and about working class people trying to just earn a paycheck in hostile galaxy that’s just trying to keep them down.

Signum me upem…

Have two potential character ideas, so will see what others come up with…

Mith

Finally, a game when I don’t have another game or static group. I have all the Starfinder stuff but have not had the chance to play it and I’m interested.

You know I’d like to get in on this if I could.

And like I posted in the other thread, if anyone wants to get in on my Hero Lab Online account I have all the Starfinder content needed to make up characters to play around with ideas. Hit me up if you want an invite. Hero Lab Online is browser based and you can get the free version to join my setup.

I’m not playing the muscle this time.

I dunno, I can’t think of anything from James Cameron that sounds like Fly Free or Die, I think you are just trying to get people to watch the Abyss again :smirk:

I actually think the abyss is more the whole working class stiffs having to deal with escalating issues that are normally beyond their normal everyday experience. All without them doing anything to intentionally escalate it. It keeps being escalated due to things beyond their control. And they keep having to work around it.

But that is what I am interpretting it as. Plus you have water manipulating aliens…

1 Like

Actually that is a good way to put it. I stand corrected.

Wouldn’t Alien be the working class starship crew ideal?

Alien is a fantastic example of a working class starship crew! I would assume it was left out because the theme is more about horror.

Then again, maybe @Rando doesn’t want to tip us off to Special Order 937. :laughing:

LV-426 may pop-up in Saturday’s game, not Sunday’s game.

And it doesn’t bode well for the party if Alien is their inspiration…

Yeah whatever I’m gonna play Ripley :smirk:

I might as well get this out of the way.

Are (non-evil) Drow player characters allowed?

Sure.

It’s not a drow AP but there are drow amongst the antagonists. A PC drow could be advantageous, it could also be disadvantageous. /shrug

Light Blindness sucks. Mitigating it for a low level characters is expensive or outright not possible.

I want to play Jonesy… hmmm perhaps a cat folk this time… meow that sounds interesting…

oh yea, count me in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got it. Well I’m not sure that I can think of a credible reason why a Drow would be slumming it on a freighter. But it’s good to know what my options are.

I’ve got a couple of other ideas that might be better.

Ship interior lights are not as bright as sunlight? You’re tying to escape the sun without going underground? :smirk:

1 Like

Wait…they don’t have freaking sunglasses or the equivalent in super future space? :smirk:

They don’t.

There’s Daywalker Serum which is a consumable that gets expensive.

I would assume that replacing your eyes with the appropriate augmentations would get rid of light blindness.

I would assume that the drow corps have created light blindness removal glasses that have a similar cost/level to Darksight Goggles.

WTF? How is my charming yet roguish skittermander smuggler scoundrel ace pilot supposed to look cool without sunglasses?