[Finished] PF2 - Hell's Rebels adventure path (Thurs 8-11 EDT)

Welcome to the show @Airen, now I get to play with you instead of trying to kill you in my Saltmarsh campaign.

I’m still tossing ideas around in my head for characters. I have a few half-formed concepts so far. And so (since DM won’t let me play a Kobold…mean DM :cry:)…

1. A Fighter or Champion with the Marshall Archetype. I’m not sure about Ancestry, but thinking about Dustwalker variation on Human or Elf. Going with Champion and the cause of Liberator meshes well with the setting I think. Not sure at all about background, perhaps the Natural Born Leader campaign trait from the Hell’s Rebel player’s guide; something local like I am part of the security or law and order locally and join the rebellion for freedom and the fight against tyranny and oppression. With Champion I could focus on Religion perhaps as a skill focus, but I am leaning more towards Fighter with the Marshall archetype and don’t know if this character would be very heavily invested in any of the skills Rando listed in the previous post, aside from maybe Knowledge (Local). If we really need a Tank I could do Fighter or Champion with either the Bastion or Sentinel archetypes which add different styles of defensive boosts.

2. A neater concept I am thinking of is Catfolk Investigator with the Urban Sleuth background if Rando is going to convert that one. I was even thinking of mixing in the Martial Artist archetype and I would be the catfolk version of Sherlock Holmes from the Robert Downy Jr. movies. I could handle some Knowledge skills like Local and/or History and possibly go with Occultism. Catfolk are curious by nature and ask a lot of questions which goes well with the Investigator class in terms of flavor.

1. Misc ideas that I haven’t worked out further yet. An Oracle with the Pattern Seeker campaign trait/background. A Swashbuckler with possibly the Natural Born Leader campaign trait/background. Or, something based around Eldritch Archer.

I just skimmed the players’ guide update.

I may need to rethink my wizard idea.

EDIT:

Well I spent most of this evening reviewing the update and reading more from the APG and I feel like I am back at square 1 regarding character choice.

Currently leaning toward a shadow bloodline sorcerer. Would allow me to (hopefully) tag along with our rogue as well as give me some nice social options. Plus thematically its quite nice.

I also theorycrafted a Lore Oracle. It seems like a really powerful option for this campaign but I’m kind of on the fence. I mean, I’m a simple man, and all this weird curse stuff is just weird.

Going down the list, I also have an Undead Sorcerer idea that I’ve been wanting to play ever since the Dhampir ancestry was announced.

Last but not least I’ve still got the wizard idea that I’ve been thinking about, but that is feeling less likely in light of the guide update.

I’m really digging the Ex-Asmodean background. Seems quite powerful and applicable across a wide range of likely social and combat situations. Thematically it is also suitably edge-lordy enough.

Okay, I’ve definitely made up my mind this time.

For realz.

I’d like to play as an Aasimar Shadow Bloodline Sorcerer with the Ex-Asmodean background. In RP terms she will be sort of a “Fallen Aasimar” (or something like that). Mechanically, she will focus on shadow related blasting and mental effects and a bit of stealth to support (and hopefully tag along with) the party rogue(s).

Skills wise, I plan to focus on Deception and Intimidation. I figure other folks will want to engage in diplomacy and I’m not really big on diplomacy myself but I do love the idea of jumping out of the shadows and scaring bad guys or otherwise messing with their heads. For my other skill boosts I will probably split them between stealth and occultism.

sure

2 Likes

1 Like

Wait, who’s getting the tacos?

The Kobold bard.

Oh, you’re gonna let me play a Kobold now? :smirk:

Have you actually read the first post?

You mean the very first post of this thread that doesn’t mention Kobolds at all?

Also the smirk indicates I was joking because you already nixed my Kobold idea during the discussion in last week’s session.

Oh wow, we’re still two weeks from session 1. Feels like I’m a kid waiting for Christmas, haha!

Just to confirm.

Aug 6th is session negative one:

• ask questions of me in person or to each other
  • getting all of you coordinated on who’s playing what for characters
  • getting all of you on the same page on what’s expected of your party/characters in this adventure
  • general review of Fantasy Grounds and how stuff works (mostly for Airen)
  • review new UI bits again
  • possibly start character entry if any of y’all are ready

Aug 13th is session zero:

• character creation/character entry into Fantasy Grounds
  • getting spells, effects, etc, setup
  • last minute questions
  • I pay little attention as I’m watching youtube videos on monitor 2

Aug 20th is session 1 (start of play).

My to do list before the 20th is this:

• try and answer any questions y’all might have
  • remedial review of PF2 rules in general
  • review in-depth those rules that are going to be important in this AP that we didn’t use much of in Age of Ashes or Entombed with the Pharaohs, like stealth, detection, influencing NPCs, crafting, down time activities, etc
  • read the players guide (the original one) and figure out how the rebellion rules work and see if I have to make any changes
  • read six 100 page modules and take notes
  • read the first 100 page module in-depth
  • possibly re-write any of the problem bits
  • get data entered into Fantasy Grounds; shops, factions, deities, town gazetteer, etc
  • remake all the maps for the first module so the damn grids align, stairways actually lead to places that exist, and room contents actually reflect room descriptions
  • make maps for all the encounters that they didn’t provide
  • make tokens for all the NPCs/monsters
  • find images for (major?) NPCs, locations, and items
  • re-balance all encounters for a 6 person party using PF2 rules from the 4 person assumed party of PF1 rules
  • possibly create new NPCs that require their own stat-blocks that I can’t rip out of the bestiary
  • ditto for hazards
  • update treasure/loot to PF2 standards and make sure y’all have enough for wealth-by-level calculations (for example a +1 longsword in PF1 is 2,015 gp, in PF2 it’s 36 gp)
  • update the UI to a Hell’s Rebels theme 'cause I feel like it
  • get Horizon Zero Dawn this Friday and play the shit out of it this weekend
  • wait patiently for Pathfinder: Kingmaker to get it’s patch this month that officially adds turn-based combat, then play the shit out of it
  • read the APG to figure out how to handle the whacky characters y’all are going to foist on me
  • watch really bad fantasy/sci-fi moves from the 80’s on Amazon Prime

1 Like

1 Like

I watched some mediocre older movies recently like Leviathan and Tango and Cash. Also watched an older movie In the Mouth of Madness, but I consider that to be a fairly good movie.

I’m not getting Horizon Zero Dawn this Friday as I played it all the way through with the original version on the PS4. Do I want to get it and play it again on the PC? Yes, but I’m waiting for a sale in the future. I’m all about the official turn-based update for Pathfinder Kingmaker.

And now that GM Rando has corrected my mistaken belief that playing a Kobold was not allowed, I may play a Kobold something-or-other.

Like it had Strange Aeons, Syrinscape has sound packs for the entire Hell’s Rebels adventure path. Unlike Strange Aeons which sounded amazeballs ™, the sounds for Hell’s Rebels sound like generic video game background noises. We won’t be using Syrinscape.

Just play the opening from AC/DC’s Hell’s Bells and call it a day :slight_smile:

So no 8-bit music and sound effects?

I can leave my iPad in my lap and key my mic while playing FF7. That’ll be good enough right?

OK I have 4 solid character concepts, covering different roles. I’ll pick one depending on what others are going to play.

These are in order of preference.

1. Dragonscale Kobold Rogue (Eldritch Trickster Racket picking Sorceror archetype draconic bloodline of course) w/ some dips into Dragon Disciple. - If no one else is planning on playing a rogue or thinking about it but still would like to play something else, I am really interested in this idea here. This build could get some interesting stuff over the course of the campaign. Through the Eldritch Trickster racket for Rogue I get access to spellcasting to accentuate the rogue stuff and through the Kobold ancestry fests I can get more innate magic and dipping into Dragon Disciple I can get more magic and turn into a dragon at lvl 14. I can cover major stealthing, thievery stuff and scouting, like really scouting far ahead for danger. Kobold gets natural darkvision and I’ll be able to cast invisibility on myself for sneaking/scouting and combo with sneak attack. Also Kobold breath attack that scales with levels, maybe could sneak attack with that too I’m not sure. Could also mess around with setting snares during camping/resting or who knows what. Anyhow, I’m really in love with this idea…and I usually avoid playing rogues. And you’ll always know when my it’s my character talking because I will do a Kobold voice.

2. Catfolk Investigator w/ Urban Sleuth background- I mentioned this in a previous post. Sort of the Catfolk version of Sherlock Holmes from the Robert Downy Jr. movies. Not quite as weird though, much better adjusted mentally and socially. Holds himself in high regard, like a cat. Looking to delve into the secrets of the city and the rebellion. Down with tyranny, it ruffles my fur! And what’s with those strange ringing bells, there’s something about I can;'t put my finger on…yet.

1. Dustwalker (Elf based) Eldritch Archer - Not sure what I would go for the initial class, maybe Ranger for animal companion mostly or Fighter or Rogue. This character would be mostly ranged dps, if we just need a character to shoot stuff and mix some magic into the shooting, this would be that character. I can handle some skill checks with this character to cover what skill checks are needed/not covered by the rest of the party.

2. Something melee and tanky if needed. Maybe Fighter or Champion with the Marshall archetype or Bastion.

But yeeeaaahhh…Kobold.