[Finished] PF2 - Big Troubles in Little Otari Extravaganza (Sundays, 8-11 EDT)

That might actually get me back into PF2 :smirk:

Maybe someone else can chime in, but my brief exploration so far into Foundry PF2 reveals that there really is no character ā€œcreationā€ mechanism like there is Fantasy Grounds. You can freely edit your character sheet and it looks you are doing character creation by adding feats and ancestries and classes pulled from data lists and dropdowns and popup windows, but itā€™s not actually making sure you making a valid character.

I think our options are:

1. make our characters by ā€œhandā€
  2. make our characters in Fantasy Grounds and then ā€œwriteā€ down all the info to enter into Foundry
  3. Pathbuilder:
  • lots of disparate info out there about this website/program (Android)
  • is it free, /shrug
  • it stores characters on the cloud and then one can share links to said characters and then thereā€™s a Foundry module that can pull those characters into the game via said link
  1. HeroLab:
  • bloody expensive; monthly fee and pay to unlock each book of data
  • worth it? I donā€™t think so and yet I have it
  • thereā€™s a module to import HeroLab online characters into Foundry as well
  1. Eventually Pathfinder Nexus will have their character creator online; will it cost money? you betcha, no idea how much

I think those are future options. In the meantime I could enter everyoneā€™s (current) characters by hand into Foundry from Fantasy Grounds. Donations welcome.

As for boob slidersā€¦

Itā€™s coming. Itā€™s here!

1 Like

This site also has a character creator: https://character.pf2.tools/

the pathbuilder module says that it does not work, otherwise that is what i was going to do. I have not actually had a lot of time to test it though.

I think we can create the actor/character sheet in foundry with a selfhosted game and export it from there and import into the actual game. I have not had a chance to test this though.

We would still need access to Fantasy Grounds to get our inventory information out. The actual character creation in foundry, with the addon modules from the video you linked, was just drag and drop. It was pretty easy and quick.

So hereā€™s the same dude talking about character creation in Foundry PF2 from a year ago. Itā€™s pretty straightforward but not ā€œautomatedā€ with enforced rules and such from a traditional character creator.

So umā€¦ who wants me to make their character ahead of time in Foundry?

And do we want to try out the optional Stamina rules?

[Edit]

So Iā€™m still honestly confused as to who is making money on this and how much. Itā€™s a Paizo adventure path using art assets (images, tokens, etc) and all writing/text produced by them, using sounds/music from Syrinscape, using maps sourced from Forgotten Adventures (professionally made?), and all running in Foundry, all at a price point thatā€™s cheaper than buying all three modules in Fantasy Grounds which does not have the newer (better) sourced maps and no sounds/music. WTF?!?!

[Edit 2]

Currently the following Paizo adventure products are available for Foundry:

• Pathfinder Beginnerā€™s Box
  • Abomination Vaults
  • Outlaws of Alkenstar (1+2 of 3)
  • A bunch of one-shot bounties (Pathfinder Society Scenarios)

Looks like Iā€™m running Outlaws of Alkenstar in the future after all?

Well at least youā€™ll get to use that Southern accent youā€™ve been working so hard on :slight_smile:

:wink::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I was just watching an interview with Erol Otus and it occurred to me that the fight we had with the Drake a couple of sessions back is 100% the Moldvay Basic D&D cover. Cave. Water. Drake. Stairs.

Umā€¦

Itā€™s gonna be a lot of work to input/create everyoneā€™s characters, get items (built?) added, get the automated bells 'n whistles (sounds and animations), macros (Hunterā€™s Prey, Spells, Reload, etc), and then learn the ins and outs of the UI which will leave us very little time to actually play on Sunday.

Is it possible for everyone to start earlier, say around 6:00 PM Eastern? Or since the Saturday Starfinder group is off this week we could do the prep/learn on Saturday night instead and the actual play on Sunday?

Iā€™d be up for either/both.

Iā€™ve been playing with creating a manual character on a local instance and here are a few observations

• There is some minimal automation when you drag/drop classes, heritages, race and stuff but itā€™s not a walk through like the FG builder was.
  • Combat seems to be a bit more interactive. It seems that the target has to apply their own damage (or perhaps Iā€™m missing something)
  • From a GM perspective, it looks like is calculates the ā€œhit byā€/ā€œmiss byā€ for the GM which should be nice for those of us who regularly forget to apply our flanking bonus (sheepish grin)

Iā€™ll be out of town Saturday night and unable to access the internet.

I can show up early Sunday evening though.

Yeah the automation is lacking but that not necessarily a bad thing. Youā€™re right, the GM can intercept everything before it gets applied and modify it by hand (this ā€œinterceptionā€ is on by default for damage and off by default for attacks/hits). More ā€œworkā€ for us 'cause weā€™ll actually have to know how to play the game, but thusly more control for us.

Thereā€™s actually a flanking detector built in to the PF2 rules? Or is it coming from a module. I canā€™t remember. I havenā€™t played with it but supposedly itā€™ll detect flanking automagically between player controlled tokens vs bad guys and vice versa, assuming the tokens are positioned correctly.

If that doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ve got another module loaded that when you hover over a token and hit your ā€˜Fā€™ key it toggles the flat-footed condition. Yay!

+1

From what Iā€™ve been learning, there are a few things that theyā€™ve set-up and put on the shoulders of the players to help make the GMā€™s life a bit easier in terms of running a session. I donā€™t know that I mind that because I feel it helps with the immersion for me. Iā€™m also hoping that it will help my understanding of the mechanics of the game as well.

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m looking forward to continuing our adventureā€¦ but Iā€™m also expecting a lot of trial and error and if this week turns into us just getting comfortable with the new system, Iā€™m totally cool with that.

:+1:

Spoon and I can be available Saturday evening to work on our characters in Foundry. I think I have a steeper learning curve for this since I donā€™t have as much experience and knowledge of the games as a whole so I am glad to get more time in learning.

@Binasii donā€™t sweat it. Weā€™ll help ya through it.

Alrighty, so tonight at the ā€œusualā€ time, 8:00 EDT and tomorrow at 6:00 EDT Iā€™ll have the server up to do stuffs.

I fixed the hitpoint bar(s) on the tokens and the hitpoint circle on the combat tracker.

I had the top bar showing in the system settings as stamina and the bottom bar as hitpoints, the combat tracker bases itā€™s circular hitpoint indicator and numeric indicator based on the topmost bar of the token which in our case was stamina hence why it wasnā€™t showing things correctly.

[Edit] And a reminder to myself mostly, there is a take-cover keybind in PF2E Keybind Menagerie. So I can put lesser/normal/greater cover on targets (easily) before you guys roll the hits. Unfortunately like all token related things in Foundry, yā€™all canā€™t put the cover on your targets yourselves 'cause you canā€™t makes changes to tokens you donā€™t own. But you can setup that hotkey to put cover on yourselves.

TLDR: no more detecting magic behind walls.

So, after shedding all the mental detritus I associate with the Detect Magic cantrip/spell Iā€™ve accumulated over the years, I went and actually (re)read itā€™s description. Itā€™s a 30-foot emanation; nothing about lead or stone or whatever blocking/not-blocking it. So itā€™s bound by all the same rules that other spells/emanations are; line-of-effect applies.

Which brings up the interesting questions:

• does the ā€œmagicā€ detected by the Detect Magic cantrip seep out beneath doors?
  • does the ā€œmagicā€ detected by the Detect Magic cantrip seep out of the minute crack in the lid of the chest?
  • does the ā€œmagicā€ detected by the Detect Magic cantrip seep out of top of the non air-tight belt pouch on the ogreā€™s belt?